Sunday, January 07, 2007

Superheroes

I have always maintained that Spiderman is my favourite super hero because the whole comic book sort of makes sense to me. And the recent Spiderman movies have been great too and I am much awaiting Spiderman-3 , the trailer looks awesome.

Neways, whenever Spiderman is pitted against Superman, Batman and other superheroes in a discussion, I havent really bothered or cared as to why people are batman/ superman fans.

As I sat watching Kill Bill 2 (again) on a Saturday night, I was fascinated by the famous Tarantino monologue about Superman which gave me a completely new perspective about Superman and realised how people have their own unique reasons to love their superheroes.

Here's the monologue:

"As you know, I'm quite keen of comic books, especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero; Superman, not a great comic book, not particularly well-drawn, but the mythology; the mythology is not only great, it's unique.
Now, the staple of the superhero mythology is; there is the superhero and there is the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spiderman is actually Peter Parker; when that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spiderman and it is in that characteristic, Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent, his outfit with the big red “S”. That's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears; the glasses, the business suit, that's the costume; that’s the costume that Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us, and what are the characteristics of Clark Kent; he’s weak, he’s unsure of himself, he’s a coward. Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race, sorta like Beatrix Kiddo and Mrs. Tommy Plympton."

If you liked it check out this link on youtube - Superman monologue.


No comments: