Sunday, September 03, 2006

Perception

Perception is a term that I use very frequently and I just realised that I use it very loosely.Before writing I checked up wikipedia and dictionary.com and this is what I struck upon.

Perception is the process of acquiring, interpreting, selecting, and organizing sensory information.

Neways, what I wanted to write here was how people perceive things and jump to conclusions.
I am amazed to see how people perceive things based on circumstantial evidence. As in, a certain logical sequence of events has to point to a certain consequence.
I had this argument with a friend as in how the real world works on probability and generalizing depending on higher probabilities and I just realised that I belong to the same set of people who do perceive things and conclude on the basis of circumstantial evidence.

I dont want to just circle around the issue, so to get to the point, this is what I want to say. Very few people know a lot about a certain person,event or thing. And a large majority knows very little about it. I do not say that people shouldnt have an opinion. But give it a little more insight, a little more credit than what you think about it or what you see, before you make a statement. Because circumstantial evidence mostly points to a very superficial view, and "there is always more to it than what meets the eye".



1 comment:

EntrepreneurNI said...

I like the way you write.